Note: Download a checklist that covers the 8 most common mistakes that people make when they start a blog – and how can you avoid them! – Click Here
Caleb Wojcik (pronounced wo-jick, unless you’re of Polish descent) is the co-founder of Fizzle.co, The Sparkline, & The Fizzle Show. When he’s not on Fizzle teaching people how to build their businesses, he’s teaching how to create videos that look amazing – at DIY Video Guy.
Caleb is one of the brightest entrepreneurs I’ve had the honor of meeting, so I was quite surprised when I learned that entrepreneurship wasn’t exactly his grand plan for life. His father was an entrepreneur, and the price the family paid, the things they couldn’t afford and the effect that the entrepreneurial lifestyle had on his parents’ marriage convinced Caleb that he should graduate, find a safe job at a large corporation, and live happily ever after.
And so, he graduated and got job at Boeing. A few weeks after, Boeing laid-off about 10,000 employees.
The Death Of The “Safe Job”
Caleb wasn’t one of the employes that lost their job that week, but it did make an impact on him. He started realizing that “having a safe job” was a myth of the past. He found himself considering entrepreneurship again… but there was one tiny little problem.
He had no idea what to build his business around.
He dabbled around with some freelancing, tried to develop an app with some friends – but it didn’t take off. Meanwhile, he started blogging and documenting his process of getting out of debt. That blog was the beginning of what Caleb does today as his full-time job, and in today’s episode he’ll take us through that quest sharing the lessons he learned along his way from cubicle to a successful online entrepreneur.
- Entrepreneurship lessons learned from playing (a bit too many) video games.
- Creating an online business – starting with a blog.
- The disillusion of corporate America job-security, and leaving Boeing to blog and teach.
- Why it’s much harder to get referrals when you don’t niche down
- Finding the need of a market – at the intersection of the audience you want to talk to, and the problem that you can solve.
- Why gear doesn’t matter!
- Why gear does matter!
- The 8 Most Common Mistakes That People Make When They Start A Blog – And How Can You Avoid Them!
- Caleb Wojcik
- Caleb on Twitter
- Caleb on Facebook
- Caleb on LinkedIn
- DIY Video Guy
- IIP 002 : From $500,000 Debt To $22.3M Annual Revenue – Story Of Rand Fishkin & SEOmoz
I Need Your Help!
If you haven’t already, I would love if you could be awesome and take a minute to leave a quick rating and review of the podcast on iTunes by clicking on the link below! It’s the most amazing way to help the show grow and reach more people!
Thank you again for your ongoing support.